At my dad’s house there’s a stack of firewood in the garage. It’s been there since I lived at home — dad got a gas furnace not long after I left and the extra wood has just been sitting around every since.
This summer I was at his place, in the garage, getting some wood for a camp fire and I came across a piece of oak that had a bunch of holes in the end grain. It looked interesting so I split it apart and sure enough, some worms had been very busy once upon a time.
I started roughing out the spoons with a hatchet, but the oak grain and worm paths just wouldn’t cooperate, so I brought it home and used the bandsaw instead.
I decided to make a pair of matching salad serving grabbers, which could also be used for serving rice or something like that.
I carved out the bowls using the hook knife, and used the belt sander to do a bit of shaping on the handles.
After I had the spoons shaped the way I wanted to I used a couple of stiff brushes, a piece of wire and a tiny drill bit to remove as much of the
worm poop sawdust as I could from the worm trails. The trails ended up being much more extensive than I thought.
I haven’t finished these yet because I don’t know what kind of finish I want to use. I’m looked around a little bit for some food-safe glow-in-the-dark epoxy (or epoxy + glow powder mix) but I haven’t found a product I love yet.
I need something that can help fill the voids and strengthen the wood, which suggests epoxy, but I don’t love working with epoxy so I haven’t jumped to complete these yet. Maybe by the time Christmas comes around!