My brother Benjamin and his wife Carli came to town and Carli made a spoon!
We started with a nice scrap of maple. After Carli drew the design she wanted we clamped it to the workbench and hollowed out the bowl. We used an old lathe gouge that has been re-ground to do this sort of thing. Once the bowl was roughed out we used a bowl gouge to smooth the inside and get the final shape she wanted.
Once the bowl was ready we moved to the bandsaw on the ShopSmith where Carli cut out the spoon’s profile.
With most of the the spoon’s profile cut, Carli suited up and moved to the belt sander for shaping and making the curves.
We did the sanding outside. Even with the shopvac sucking up sawdust it still manages to coat everything in a fine maple powder.
We used 80 grit sandpaper on the belt sander, so once the spoon was the right shape we moved to hand sanding with 120, 220 and 400 grit sand paper.
Once it was finally silky smooth, she sketched “~Moore~” a couple different ways, then transferred the one she liked best on to the spoon handle. I carefully carved it out with a pocket knife and didn’t even slip on the rounded corners or lose the middle of the Os.
Finally we finished it with several coats of danish oil. This piece of maple had some beautiful quilting in it and Carli did a fantastic job!
The neighbors cut down a Mulberry tree last Sunday. I only grabbed one small branch – I’ve got too much going on to commit to more wood – and tonight I made time to make a spoon out of it. I used the hatchet for most of it, but used the adz and spoon on the bowl.
I also used my pocket knife for some detailed work.
The draw knife wasn’t very useful on this project. The grain was just too contrary and whenever it would switch directions, the draw knife would catch and pull out a little chunk of the wood. It probably means I need to sharpen the draw knife, but it was just a hassle tonight.
The curve of this thing is a little bit awkward, but that’s the shape the branch was, and I think it’ll actually work pretty well for serving rice or things like that. It doesn’t lay flat, so you’d need a spoon rest if you were using it on the stove.
A Loooooong time ago (October 2013) I bought a belt sander attachment for my ShopSmith and disassembled it.
It sat in this plastic bin in my office since then doing nothing…
…until tonight! Tonight the kids and I cleaned it up and put it back together.
We didn’t figure out electrolysis like I had planned, we ended up just using WD-40 and sandpaper to get it all cleaned up.
Since we were just sanding and not doing anything crazy with electricity here’s the final shot. Everything spins smoothly, and I replaced the screws that broke with bolts and they mostly seem to be working for now. Now it’s time to buy some sand paper!