I’ve tried to be a bit more judicious about how far I’d go to pick up wood and how much wood I’d pick up this year, and so it’s only a week or so ago that I finally got some fresh green wood to work with.
Someone in the neighborhood had a tree cut down, and I picked up a 5 foot long log of something I didn’t recognize. I cut it with the chainsaw and split it right away so it wouldn’t go to waste.
I used the adz to hollow out the bowl, used the hatchet to shape it.
I used the draw knife and shave horse to round out the bottom. I love using the draw knife. It can take material off so quickly, but gives such good control. I’m also pretty good at sharpening it, so that helps it work well too.
After all the rough shaping I used my swiss army knife and a spoon knife to smooth out any remaining bumps and cracks.
After that was done I put it in a paper bag where I’ll let it dry out slowly and hopefully not crack. After it’s dry, I’ll give it one more pass with the spoon knife and put it in the kitchen drawer.
I made a set of salt and pepper shakers for our kitchen.
I started by cutting squares of maple and oak and gluing them together. I glued up a single stack with the salt and pepper shakers all together. One they were dried I then turned them on the lathe to get them round.
I had some end grain tear out so I sanded it starting with 80 grit and went up to 1200.
I used the miter box to cut the two shakers apart.
Then I used the belt sander to flatten the top and bottoms and to make both shakers the same height.
I then used the drill press to drill out the hole for the salt and pepper.
I used a spade bit for the initial hole and then used a forstner bit to create a recess for the top of the cork.
I also used the drill press to drill a P and S on the tops. Sophie asked who the S one was for and was disappointed that it wasn’t hers and that I wasn’t going to make her one.
The pepper shaker is oak with a single maple band, and is a bit darker than the salt shaker which is maple with a single oak band.
I finished the outsides with a couple of light coats with Watco Danish Oil. The insides are unfinished.
After the successful spoon making a few weeks ago, I decided to make a couple more. These two were Mother’s Day presents for my wonderful mother-in-law.
I started with a small slab of walnut and a small slab of apple wood. I cut out some rough spoon shapes on the bandsaw, and used a forstner bit to drill out some bowls.
I brought them inside and did some doodling and sketching on them to see what kinds of shapes would look good. Hannah helped out.
After sketching I went back to the bandsaw and rough cut the shapes and then started carving out the bowls some more. I wanted to get the bowls carved out before the handles were cut down any more, so that I could put some force on the spoons without breaking the handles.
After carving out the bowls I hit the bandsaw yet again to finish off the handle shaping, then I used the belt sander and hand sanded everything to be as smooth as I wanted it.
After sanding I soaked both spoons in mineral oil, then buffed them with paraffin wax to get the shine.