At my dad’s house there’s a stack of firewood in the garage. It’s been there since I lived at home — dad got a gas furnace not long after I left and the extra wood has just been sitting around every since.
This summer I was at his place, in the garage, getting some wood for a camp fire and I came across a piece of oak that had a bunch of holes in the end grain. It looked interesting so I split it apart and sure enough, some worms had been very busy once upon a time.
I started roughing out the spoons with a hatchet, but the oak grain and worm paths just wouldn’t cooperate, so I brought it home and used the bandsaw instead.
I decided to make a pair of matching salad serving grabbers, which could also be used for serving rice or something like that.
I carved out the bowls using the hook knife, and used the belt sander to do a bit of shaping on the handles.
After I had the spoons shaped the way I wanted to I used a couple of stiff brushes, a piece of wire and a tiny drill bit to remove as much of the
worm poop sawdust as I could from the worm trails. The trails ended up being much more extensive than I thought.
I haven’t finished these yet because I don’t know what kind of finish I want to use. I’m looked around a little bit for some food-safe glow-in-the-dark epoxy (or epoxy + glow powder mix) but I haven’t found a product I love yet.
I need something that can help fill the voids and strengthen the wood, which suggests epoxy, but I don’t love working with epoxy so I haven’t jumped to complete these yet. Maybe by the time Christmas comes around!
Like the previous post, this is a very late post about a project I completed long ago.
These three spoons were made from my dwindling supply of walnut wood. The walnut wood I picked up 3 or so years ago after a strong series of storms hit the twin cities. I cut it up and saved it ever since. I’m now down to just a couple pieces.
These were all roughed out on the bandsaw, then the bowl and decorative details carved out by hand. The top two were given away as presents. The bottom one we kept and use.
When I give someone a spoon or other utensil I usually tell them that the right way to treat it is to hand-wash only, and to re-oil them monthly or so. I also tell them that we don’t do that — we put our wooden stuff through the dishwasher and use and abuse it — and our spoon has held up well.
I like making functional things, not things that need to be coddled.
I also made a walnut bowl-scraping spatula and an apple-wood spoon. These were a present to some friends of ours, which we brought to their Christmas party along with some goodies to share (Pão de Quijo!).
The spatula is modeled after one that we saw at Caroline’s aunt and uncles house which I really liked. Ryan and I have since made one for our own home, which we use regularly.
My brother Benjamin and his wife Carli came to town and Carli made a spoon!
We started with a nice scrap of maple. After Carli drew the design she wanted we clamped it to the workbench and hollowed out the bowl. We used an old lathe gouge that has been re-ground to do this sort of thing. Once the bowl was roughed out we used a bowl gouge to smooth the inside and get the final shape she wanted.
Once the bowl was ready we moved to the bandsaw on the ShopSmith where Carli cut out the spoon’s profile.
With most of the the spoon’s profile cut, Carli suited up and moved to the belt sander for shaping and making the curves.
We did the sanding outside. Even with the shopvac sucking up sawdust it still manages to coat everything in a fine maple powder.
We used 80 grit sandpaper on the belt sander, so once the spoon was the right shape we moved to hand sanding with 120, 220 and 400 grit sand paper.
Once it was finally silky smooth, she sketched “~Moore~” a couple different ways, then transferred the one she liked best on to the spoon handle. I carefully carved it out with a pocket knife and didn’t even slip on the rounded corners or lose the middle of the Os.
Finally we finished it with several coats of danish oil. This piece of maple had some beautiful quilting in it and Carli did a fantastic job!