Tag Archives: shopsmith

Maple Bowl with Walnut Handles

Over the last two weekends I made this bowl.

It’s made from a maple crotch, so there’s a big bark inclusion going right down the middle, and you can see the center rings from both forks, one on each side of the bowl.

It’s been a while since I did any turning, and I had to re-learn the right feel of how to present the tool on the work, especially with the bowl gouge when working the inside.

Here’s how it ended up after last Saturday. There were several rings and gouges that I wasn’t really happy with, but it was getting late and I wasn’t getting any better.

I left it on the faceplate though, so that I could put it back on the lathe later if I felt more motivated.

Well, the weekend passed and I decided that I wasn’t going to be satisfied with how thick the walls were, or the big gouge marks, so I put it back on the lathe and started thinning things down.

I did have several more catches which ruined the rim and I had to make the bowl shorter to clean them up. You can see that the bark inclusion is now all the way through the rim, where there had been solid wood on the rim before.

Unfortunately this meant that the bowl was much weaker. I actually tightly wrapped the bowl in masking tape while turning the insides so it wouldn’t fly apart. The base was screwed to the faceplate too, so there was enough support.

In fact, once I took the tape off, I could grab both sides of the bowl and make pull them apart a little bit. To compensate for the weakness I drilled two holes on each side of the crack on each side of the bowl, and made these walnut handles from a log I had sitting around. The handles have pegs that fit into the holes in the bowl. I put some watered-thinned wood glue in the crack, and then glued the handle pegs into the holes.

After that, I did one more pass with 1200 grit sandpaper and wiped it all down with a mix of mineral oil and beezwax.

The handles are slightly offset, but I still like it. It was great to get back to turning. I’m glad the weather is getting warmer!

Posted in Something Interesting, Woodworking | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Shopsmith Repairs: New bandsaw blade insert

The aluminum bandsaw blade insert was always a little bent and one day a piece of wood pushed it it into the blade. That twisted it all up of course, and it never really worked after that.

I’ve been using it without a blade guard for a while, which means lots of sawdust and little pieces of wood fell down inside the saw.

Tonight I was going to cut up a bunch of freshly cut crab apple wood, and I didn’t want (as much) wet sawdust piling up inside so it was time to make a new blade guard.

Bandsaw insert from a sawblade
Bandsaw insert from a sawblade

I got a pile of old saw blades with a ShopSmith I bought a little while back, and it looked like the blade was about the right thickness for the space.

I hammered the old insert flat and traced it onto the saw blade. Then I used an angle grinder to cut it out, and shaped it using a grinding wheel. I used a cutoff blade for some of the interior cutting, and then a file to round out the edges.

Closeup of the new bandsaw insert
Closeup of the new bandsaw insert

It sits about a millimeter below the surface of the table, and when I push it in it snaps into place and stays in place firmly.

I expect that this repair will last for a long time.

I’ve got to make another one for the Shopsmith jigsaw, but that’ll have to wait for another day.

Posted in Woodworking | Tagged | Leave a comment

A Maple Spoon by Carli

My brother Benjamin and his wife Carli came to town and Carli made a spoon!

We started with a nice scrap of maple. After Carli drew the design she wanted we clamped it to the workbench and hollowed out the bowl. We used an old lathe gouge that has been re-ground to do this sort of thing. Once the bowl was roughed out we used a bowl gouge to smooth the inside and get the final shape she wanted.

2016-08-15

Once the bowl was ready we moved to the bandsaw on the ShopSmith where Carli cut out the spoon’s profile.

2016-08-15 (3)

With most of the the spoon’s profile cut, Carli suited up and moved to the belt sander for shaping and making the curves.

2016-08-15 (4)

We did the sanding outside. Even with the shopvac sucking up sawdust it still manages to coat everything in a fine maple powder.

2016-08-15 (6)

We used 80 grit sandpaper on the belt sander, so once the spoon was the right shape we moved to hand sanding with 120, 220 and 400 grit sand paper.

2016-08-15 (1)

Once it was finally silky smooth, she sketched “~Moore~” a couple different ways, then transferred the one she liked best on to the spoon handle. I carefully carved it out with a pocket knife and didn’t even slip on the rounded corners or lose the middle of the Os.

2016-08-15 (7)

Finally we finished it with several coats of danish oil. This piece of maple had some beautiful quilting in it and Carli did a fantastic job!

2016-08-15 (5)

Posted in Projects, Woodworking | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment