Restoring a 1981 Shopsmith Belt Sander Part 2

A Loooooong time ago (October 2013) I bought a belt sander attachment for my ShopSmith and disassembled it.

Outside view of the belt sander
Outside view of the belt sander
Rusty plate
Rusty plate

It sat in this plastic bin in my office since then doing nothing…

Disassembled ShopSmith Belt Sander
Disassembled ShopSmith Belt Sander

…until tonight! Tonight the kids and I cleaned it up and put it back together.

We didn’t figure out electrolysis like I had planned, we ended up just using WD-40 and sandpaper to get it all cleaned up.

Since we were just sanding and not doing anything crazy with electricity here’s the final shot. Everything spins smoothly, and I replaced the screws that broke with bolts and they mostly seem to be working for now. Now it’s time to buy some sand paper!

Cleaned up belt sander
Cleaned up belt sander
This entry was posted in Woodworking and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *