This bowl took me several years to make. I’d work on it for a while, then set it aside, then work on it, then set it aside. Since I never made much progress I never really took pictures of it, and then all of a sudden last Christmas it was done.
This is a bowl made from a crotch of black locust wood I picked up from someone on Craigslist.
It was carved out partly with forstner bits and partly by hand. The bark stayed on very nicely throughout the whole ordeal and the bottom didn’t show any real signs of cracking.
I sealed it with danish oil and gave it to my sister for Christmas last year where it has faithfully stored all the role playing game dice.
My brother Benjamin and his wife Carli came to town and Carli made a spoon!
We started with a nice scrap of maple. After Carli drew the design she wanted we clamped it to the workbench and hollowed out the bowl. We used an old lathe gouge that has been re-ground to do this sort of thing. Once the bowl was roughed out we used a bowl gouge to smooth the inside and get the final shape she wanted.
Once the bowl was ready we moved to the bandsaw on the ShopSmith where Carli cut out the spoon’s profile.
With most of the the spoon’s profile cut, Carli suited up and moved to the belt sander for shaping and making the curves.
We did the sanding outside. Even with the shopvac sucking up sawdust it still manages to coat everything in a fine maple powder.
We used 80 grit sandpaper on the belt sander, so once the spoon was the right shape we moved to hand sanding with 120, 220 and 400 grit sand paper.
Once it was finally silky smooth, she sketched “~Moore~” a couple different ways, then transferred the one she liked best on to the spoon handle. I carefully carved it out with a pocket knife and didn’t even slip on the rounded corners or lose the middle of the Os.
Finally we finished it with several coats of danish oil. This piece of maple had some beautiful quilting in it and Carli did a fantastic job!
This last weekend we went camping in Nauvoo, IL and I made sure that our hatchet was freshly sharpened. I also brought my bowl gouge and spoon knife.
When we bought firewood I was happy to find that it was nice dry walnut, and I found a piece without too many cracks in it.
Hannah tried to pick it up for me, but it was too unwieldy for her.
I worked on it when we were sitting around the camp in between outings. Here we are on day two, working on shaping a spoon out of it. The shavings were useful for starting fires.
I’m getting slightly smarter. I left a big nub on the end of the spoon until the very end. I used it to hold the spoon so I could make cuts from both directions both with the hatchet and with the spoon knife.
I wanted to make a big spoon that would work well almost as a ladle. Since the handle was so fat, I carved a spiral into it to help it look a little bit lighter and to give it a touch of decoration.