Shopsmith Repairs: New bandsaw blade insert

The aluminum bandsaw blade insert was always a little bent and one day a piece of wood pushed it it into the blade. That twisted it all up of course, and it never really worked after that.

I’ve been using it without a blade guard for a while, which means lots of sawdust and little pieces of wood fell down inside the saw.

Tonight I was going to cut up a bunch of freshly cut crab apple wood, and I didn’t want (as much) wet sawdust piling up inside so it was time to make a new blade guard.

Bandsaw insert from a sawblade
Bandsaw insert from a sawblade

I got a pile of old saw blades with a ShopSmith I bought a little while back, and it looked like the blade was about the right thickness for the space.

I hammered the old insert flat and traced it onto the saw blade. Then I used an angle grinder to cut it out, and shaped it using a grinding wheel. I used a cutoff blade for some of the interior cutting, and then a file to round out the edges.

Closeup of the new bandsaw insert
Closeup of the new bandsaw insert

It sits about a millimeter below the surface of the table, and when I push it in it snaps into place and stays in place firmly.

I expect that this repair will last for a long time.

I’ve got to make another one for the Shopsmith jigsaw, but that’ll have to wait for another day.

This entry was posted in Woodworking and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *